Meeting nice folks at all these crazy readings and signings

Been meeting plenty of nice folks at my recent Edmonton readings and signings.

Today at the Whyte Ave Chapters I met some very nice folks including one of my former high school students, an excellent young writerfrom the creative writing course I taught at the U of A's faculty of extension, a couple of other aspiring writers, some nice young progressives and an old high school acquaintance who’s all groweded up with her own kids and evrathang. Time, she does fly, eh?

Last night I was at Audrey’s Books and had fun chatting with fine and accomplished novelists Wayne Arthurson and Deanna Kent-McDonald, as well as local poetical terrorist and neat cat Mingus Tourette, whose poetry you have got to check out. The event was organised by NeWest Press which is putting out a book on Edmonton in September featuring a memoir by me about the then-working class neighbourhood of old Strathcona and my near-fatal adventures in tobogganing.

Had great fun last Tuesday with the folks at the southside Chapter’s book club for their stimulating discussion of The Coyote Kings of the Space-Age Bachelor Pad--thanks for all the insights and especially the chat about Philip K. Dick. And last Saturday I ran into Ray when I was signing at Chapters in Sherwood Park; Ray, a very nice former student of mine, was my "dealer" who got me copies of Samurai Jack; good luck in your new post-secondary pursuits, buddy. Many thanks to the always dynamic Rachel Sentes at Chapters Southpoint for arranging such massive support for so many local authors on the big book extravaganza that day, and to local publicist-supreme Sheri Lee Moshanski for her tireless work and help, not to mention being so nice as to attend so many of my events.

Tomorrow I'm signing books at the Chapters north of WEM between 2 and 4 pm, so please come on out.

Thanks very much to all the terrific staff of Audrey's and Chapters for all the support. You all deserve raises.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mazisi Kunene's “Thoughts on June 26 (South African Liberation Day)”

BARBARA PERRY ON HOW TO DEFEAT CANADIAN FASCISTS (MF GALAXY 175)

CATHLEEN ROOTSAERT ON WRITING MASS EFFECT, THREE DEAD TROLLS IN A BAGGIE (MF GALAXY 075)