Even today, Hollywood’s Pink-Washing produces Whitesupremacist revisionism of African civilisations through work such as The Gods of Egypt, Exodus: Gods and Kings, and the HBO series Rome whose second season visits Greek-occupied Egypt.
Fortunately, numerous scholars and activists have dedicated their lives to erasing such lies and restoring the truth about the Africanity of world-shaping ancient civilisations such as Ancient Egypt.
One such scholar-activist is Runoko Rashidi, an historian and world traveler who for decades has investigated the ancient migrations of Africans out of the mother continent and across the world. His work highlights the civilisations they founded and the titans they produced, especially in early Asia and Europe. He’s lectured in over 50 countries, and his articles have appeared in more than 75 publications.
Rashidi is the author of the books Introduction to the Study of African Classical Civilizations, The Global African Community: The African Presence in Asia, Australia and the South Pacific, and A Thousand Year History of the African Presence in Asia. With Ivan Van Sertima he co-edited The African Presence in Early Asia. For years he hosted educational tours of archeological sites.
In today’s episode, Rashidi discusses:
- The influence on him of the great scholar Ivan Van Sertima, author of They Came Before Columbus
- The Dalit nation, or so-called “Untouchables” of India
- His appraisal of the how the weakest links in the Afrocentric academic movement are mirroring the mistakes of Eurocentric scholarship
- The contemporary scholars whose work he admires
- Continent-shaking Africans in European and Asian history, and
- The astonishing ancient Indian civilisations of Harappa and Mohenjo Daro
This episode’s conversation is one of the last interviews I recorded for my CJSR show Africentric Radio. Until now, it’s been entombed in the archives of the Grand Lodge of Imhotep—so I’m delighted to bring it forth by day for you. Runoko Rashidi spoke with me by telephone from his home in Los Angeles on February 26, 2012.
To hear the patrons-only extended edition of my conversation with Runoko Rashidi, click on the Patreon link to become a sponsor for a dollar or more per week.
By funding MF GALAXY, you get access to all extended editions of the show, plus video excerpts from selected interviews as they become available. This extended edition includes Runoko Rashidi discussing:
- How to preserve the archeological remnants of ancient African civilisations in the face of cultural Arabisation and war, and
- The historical guided-tours he leads of West and North Africa, Europe, and Asia, and how some people learn or change as a result
If you enjoyed this episode of MF GALAXY, be sure to download the previous two shows: Black Athena Author Martin Bernal on the African Origin of Ancient Greece, and Black Spark, White Fire: Did African Explorers Civilise Ancient Europe, with author Richard Poe
COMING IN DECEMBER, don’t miss the serialized AUDIOBOOK VERSIONS of my cult-classic novels THE COYOTE KINGS and my award-winning SHRINKING THE HEROES, available exclusively on PATREON!