TONIGHT ON THE TERRORDOME: Botswana's Future: Reflections on HIV/AIDS, Democratization, and U.S.-Botswana Relations

FM88.5 Edmonton
cjsr.com Worldwide
6 pm Mountain Time


In an April 10th article on Truthdig.com, Nigerian journalist Gbemisola Olujobi asked the question, “Who is Mogae?” And why, we might ask, has he received a five million dollar bonus? Is it because he’s a corrupt politician, a stereotypical African despot swindling his own people?

As Olujobi writes,
“Almost everyone ... knows about Zimbabwe’s sit-tight president, Robert Mugabe. But who is Mogae? Who is Chissano? Who is Kikwete? And who is Kufuor? Sadly, very few people outside Africa recognize these names.

“Festus Gontebanye Mogae is Botswana’s former president [and an Oxford-trained economist].... Botswana, acclaimed as Africa’s brightest star, rose from the ashes of grinding poverty to middle-income status in a generation. Its elections are peaceful, its politicians retire voluntarily, its civil society is vibrant and its natural resources are not a curse but a blessing shared by all.

“Mogae recently attracted meager attention when he won the [$5 million] Mo Ibrahim Prize for Achievement in African Leadership. The annual prize was established by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation and launched in October 2006 as an African initiative ‘to strengthen governance and affirm the importance of nurturing outstanding leaders on the continent.’”

Olujobi’s article continues: “The prize aims to encourage leaders like Mogae who dedicate their tenures of office to surmounting the development challenges of their countries, improve the livelihoods and welfare of their people and consolidate the foundation for sustainable development.”

Of course, anyone with such accomplishments is likely to be a complicated figure, and former president Mogae is no exception. As you’ll hear in his address tonight, he’s fulsome in his praise for the Bush administration’s role in Africa, and silent about its role elsewhere. He voiced no objection to the controversial aim of the US government to locate a military command base—Africom—inside an African country. And his position on labour conditions inside Botswana would likely raise the hackles of many union activists at home and abroad.

Nevertheless, Mogae’s achievements cannot be denied, especially on a continent so ravaged by imperialism and neocolonialism, and their destabilising effects upon nearly every aspect of social, political, economic and human development. Kofi Annan praised Mogae for his “outstanding leadership [which] has ensured Botswana's continued stability and prosperity in the face of an HIV/AIDS pandemic which threatened the future of his country and people.”

Festus Mogae spoke on September 21, 2007, at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, DC, as part of its Statesmen's Forum series, on “Botswana's Future: Reflections on HIV/AIDS, Democratization, and U.S.-Botswana Relations." The event was moderated, and President Mogae was introduced, by Stephen Morrison, the Africa Program Coordinator of the Centre.

Read the transcript
here.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am indeed very happy for my life; My name is Vargas cynthia maye, I never thought that I will live on earth before the year runs out. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 5 years now; I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until last Month, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR. Ben helped someone in curing her HIV disease, quickly I copied his email which is (drbenharbalhome@gmail.com).I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in my life. if you are having a similar problems just email him on (drbenharbalhome@gmail.com) or simply whatsapp him on: +2348144631509.He can also cure disease like Cancer, Diabeties, Herpes. Etc. You can reach me on email: vargascynthiamaye1995@gmail.com
I want to share to the world how Dr Olorun helped me cure my HIV/Aids with his herb i never believe it will work because i was introduce to him by my friend who was cure of HIV/Aids by Dr olorun. so i will tell you all who is looking for a cure to their HIV/AIDS, he took research before he could finally get the solution to it. thank God today am a beneficiary to these cure and i went back to the hospital after three (3) months of taking the herb and i was negative, and he also cure any kind of cancer without any surgery and he heal with natural herb. please i urge you to contact him now through his email address: olorunoduduwaspiritualtemple@gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Mazisi Kunene's “Thoughts on June 26 (South African Liberation Day)”

BARBARA PERRY ON HOW TO DEFEAT CANADIAN FASCISTS (MF GALAXY 175)

CATHLEEN ROOTSAERT ON WRITING MASS EFFECT, THREE DEAD TROLLS IN A BAGGIE (MF GALAXY 075)